Navajo Tacos

     Hey guys! Lately, people have been asking me to post my recipes online since I have been posting what I have been cooking on my social medias. Since we have been quarantines for 3 weeks, and are now on lockdown, I have been cooking more than usual. For this week's post, I will be sharing one of my favorite southwestern foods. Keep note, this recipe is only six servings.

So, what is a Navajo Taco?

     Navajo Tacos is a southwestern dish. I found the recipe in a book my family bought when we traveled out west a few years ago. To me, the Navajo Taco is basically a taco salad on fried bread. 

What is Fry Bread?

Fry Bread is an Indian bread that is flat. The bread is fried in olive or vegetable oil. When I first tasted it, it tasted like a funnel cake minus all the powdered sugar on top. My mom said was basically a fried biscuit. Honestly, I could just eat the bread!

Well, let's get started!

Step 1: Beef
     The first step is the beef to be browned for the taco topping. This usually takes about fifteen minutes. I used about one pound of beef. Make sure when you cook, the beef is fully browned without any pick spots. Afterward, drain the beef into a colander.
     For the seasoning, I make homemade taco seasoning. In order to make the taco seasoning you must have,
Chili Powder
Cumin
Paprika
Salt
Pepper


     If you do not like beef, there is an alternative. Last week, I made chicken Navajo Tacos instead. To be honest, I actually enjoyed that one more. : ) I will try to list a picture at the end to show you how i turned out. You still can use the homemade taco seasoning in the chicken.

Step 2: Fry Bread

     Making the fry bread, was my most favorite part even though it was stressful trying to make the dough eight inches by rolling it out. I decided to stick with six inches because it worked a lot better. 
     For the bread, you will need, 

 2 cups of flour
1/2 tablespoon of salt
 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder
2 tablespoons of shortening 
3/4 cup of warm water
Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil for frying pan


1. Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder, and mix in the shortening in with your clean fingers.

2. Blend the warm water in with a fork.

3. Knead the dough until it is very smooth.

4. Divide the dough into six equal balls.

5.  Roll each ball into a six-inch circle.


6. Begin putting the oil in the frying pay, and wait for it to sizzle.

7. Start placing one bread circle into the frying oil at a time. 



8. Turn each side, so it is evenly cooked and golden brown



9. Let the grease drain out onto a paper towel until it is cool.


Step 3: Toppings


     After the fry bread cools, it is finally time for toppings!!!! For toppings, I used lettuce, the beef, two tomatoes chopped (except I did not eat the one with tomatoes because I do not like them.) shredded queso cheese, taco sauce, sour cream, guacamole, and avocado ranch (from Chick-Fil-A). Next, enjoy!

Navajo Tacos with ground beef

Navajo Tacos with chicken

     The Navajo Tacos are the absolute best, and once you try the fry bread you will want it with every meal. I absolutely will just eat the bread, and keep the pounds lol. I totally give this meal five stars, and I hope you guys will try it sometime!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breakfast Supper